Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Miss Mae's/The Club has had it rough the last year. Sometime this spring, if I recall correctly, a car took out several of the support posts for the balcony, right by the front door. That's been repaired and the police barricades removed, but now this:
Blaze damages Uptown barroom
Fire started next door to Miss Mae's
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
From staff reports (T-P)

A three-alarm fire damaged popular nightspot Miss Mae's at Napoleon Avenue and Magazine Street on Monday night.

Fire officials believe the fire started next door at Cafe Bayard and jumped the 18-inch gap between the buildings, according to Chief Glenn Trainor of the New Orleans Fire Department. The owner, Marc LoCasio, was in the 1905-circa cafe building at the time and called 911 to report the fire at 9:07 p.m. The extent of the damage to that building was unclear.

Fire officials say they had some resistance from bar patrons who were reluctant to evacuate because they were watching the Saints game.

Most of the damage was confined to dead space between the walls and between the first-floor ceiling and second floor, Trainor said.

The fire was declared under control at 10:15 p.m., Trainor said.

He said there were no injuries to bar patrons or to firefighters.

My favorite part is the Saints fans who didn't want to leave because the game was on!

I drive by most mornings on my way to work. I've seen curious people looking in the back (side?) door. Today, Miss Mae herself was sitting next to the open door, in her preposterous wig, talking to well wishers. Or at least that's the story I made up in my mind.

1 comment:

Dave said...

My brother was one of the firemen who put that shit out and he said the Saints fans story was all true. I could see that happening if it was last year, maybe, but this year? I don't think I'd mind missing a little of a game. Jeez.