Details on all the hoopla going on tomorrow before the Saints game.
NFL ANNOUNCES LOCAL DETAILS FOR “NFL KICKOFF 2010”
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 9
The National Football League announced today event information for “NFL KICKOFF 2010 PRESENTED BY EA SPORTS” Thursday, September 9.
THE KREWE OF NFL KICKOFF PARADE travels through the heart of the French Quarter, stepping off at 5:00 p.m. (CT) on Esplanade Ave. and North Peters, heading downtown on Decatur and North Peters crossing Canal St. to Tchoupitoulas and ending at Julia Street.
There will be specialty NFL floats and throws (beads) in the parade. The Krewe of NFL Kickoff Parade will feature Blaine Kern Studios signature floats, the area’s finest marching bands, local residents, local chefs and former NFL greats from around the league. EMERIL LAGASSE, DICKIE BRENNAN, PAUL PRUDHOMME, FRANK BRIGSTEN, JOHN BESH, TORY McPHAIL & KATY CASBARIAN are among the local chefs and restaurateurs who will in the parade representing all members of the Louisiana Restaurant Association.
The floats of The Krewe Of NFL Kickoff Parade include:
- EA Madden To The People Float celebrates Madden NFL 11 and its cover-athlete DREW BREES and features chefs Haley Bittermann, Dooky Chase & John Besh, and EA throws.
- VISA Float showcases a variety of NFL teams, chefs from Brigtsen’s, Commander’s & Herbsaint/Cochon and Visa throws.
- Pepsi Max Float celebrates getting back to football and tailgating, featuring chefs from GW Fins & Café Giovanni, and Pepsi throws.
- Snickers Float, telling people to ‘Go Nuts for the NFL’ and featuring chefs from Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse, BACCO & Sucre and NFL throws.
- Orpheus Smokey Mary Train featuring local kids who are part of the NFL’s PLAY 60 campaign, committed to making the next generation of youth the most active and healthy. Chefs from Arnaud’s, The Rib Room, Mr. B’s Bistro, Commander’s, Café Adelaide & Galatoire’s Restaurant will ride the train as well and NFL and Kickoff beads will be thrown.
- Lombardi Riverboat Float commemorating the Saints Super Bowl XLIV championship, featuring chefs Emeril Lagasse, Dickie Brennan and Kickoff throws.
- Rex Streetcar Float, a New Orleans-themed float celebrating that night’s match-up between the Saints and the Minnesota Vikings, will feature New Orleans’ beloved Chef Paul Prudhomme and Kickoff throws.
The marching bands featured in The Krewe of NFL Kickoff Parade include:
- United States Marine Corps and Marine Forces Reserve Color Guard
- St. Augustine High School (New Orleans)
- Tulane University (New Orleans)
- McDonogh 35 High School (New Orleans)
- Warren Easton Charter High School (New Orleans)
- Eleanor McMain Secondary School (New Orleans)
- West Jefferson High School (New Orleans)
- Sophie B. Wright Charter Middle School (New Orleans)
There also will be 17 GMC vehicles featuring the NFL match-ups during Kickoff weekend in the parade.
The parade will begin at 5:00 pm on Elysian Fields Avenue between Royal and Dauphine Streets. The parade will proceed (with traffic) on Elysian Fields to North Peters and turn right (against traffic) on North Peters to Dumaine Street. The lead units of the parade will arrive at the intersection of North Peters and Dumaine Streets at approximately 5:40 pm. Upon arrival at North Peters and Dumaine Streets, the parade will be a part of the NBC live television program and will be cued by the producers. It is anticipated that the last float will pass Jackson Square on Decatur Street at approximately 7:00pm. Once passing Jackson Square, the parade will continue on Decatur and North Peters Streets to Canal Street. The parade will cross Canal Street on North Peters and Tchoupitoulas Streets to Julia Street, where it will disband at approximately 8:00 pm.
The Krewe of NFL Kickoff Parade kicks off "NFL KICKOFF 2010 PRESENTED BY EA SPORTS,” the NFL’s ninth annual football and music festival. DAVE MATTHEWS BAND and TAYLOR SWIFT are scheduled to perform. NFL Kickoff 2010 will be televised live, from 7:30-8:30 PM (ET)/6:30-7:30 PM (CT) on NBC and NFL Network, leading up to the season opener between the Saints and the Minnesota Vikings at the Superdome (NBC, Westwood One Radio Sports, 8:30 PM ET). This is the seventh consecutive year the NFL has saluted the Super Bowl champions with the opening game in their stadium on a Thursday in primetime.
Traffic and Street Closing Information
- Wilkinson Street will be closed Sunday, Sept. 5 through Friday, Sept. 10 at 4 PM.
- Decatur Street (from St. Louis to Dumaine) will be closed on Sunday, Sept. 5, 7 AM – 7 PM & Wednesday, Sept. 8 from 12 – 8 PM and on Thursday, Sept. 9 starting at 12 PM through 6 AM on Friday, Sept. 10.
- All of Decatur Street will be closed during the Parade.
No Parking Zone
- There is no parking on Decatur Street from Toulouse to Dumaine through Friday, Sept. 10.∙
- French Market Parking Lot is closed from St. Peter to Dumaine beginning Friday, Sept. 3. Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 7 at 6:00 AM, French Market Parking Lot is closed from St. Peter to exit through Thursday, Sept. 9. French Market Parking Lot will be fully open on Saturday, Sept. 11.
NFL Kickoff Fan Zone
Fans may access the kiosks at the Jackson Brewery Lot along Decatur Street.
They are open to the public Tuesday - Thursday, 10AM – 7PM.
The NFL Kickoff Fan Zone offers fans an opportunity to interact with a number of exciting football-themed attractions provided by NFL partners. The three-day event will feature player appearances, sponsor promotions and giveaways. Highlights include: GMC vehicle displays, Pepsi Max product sampling, Verizon's Rule the Air interactive display, and more. Several of the areas will feature player appearances. On Thursday, GMC will host former Saints RB Deuce McAllister from 1-2 PM, Jerome Bettis from 2-3 PM and Marcus Allen from 3-4 PM. Coors Light will host former Saints QB Bobby Hebert from 11:30 AM -12:30 PM and Ron Jaworski from 3-5 PM.