Saturday, October 06, 2007



G and I have been busy (G more so than me) working with a committee to put together a forum for the candidates running for the City Council At-Large seat, vacant after Oliver Thomas resigned. We had a pretty good turn out, especially for a rainy day and considering how hard it is to navigate Loyola's campus. One candidate who never confirmed, showed up, which required some scrambling, and Kimberly Williamson Butler was 28 minutes late! I enjoyed Adrastos' commentary on the event.

I wish I had gotten a better picture of the candidates. Cox Communication is supposed to air the forum and I think video is also supposed to appear on NOLA.com. I saw a FOX8 camera guy, but can't find anything on their website.

The group that put on the forum started with the City Council District B seat race a few years ago. It was great they way a group of concerned citizens, faced with 6 candidates no one knew anything about, pulled their knowledge and resources together. It feels good to be doing something positive and also learning more about candidates.

Tuesday, we present a forum for the candidates running for State Senate District 5.
Date: Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Time: 7:00-9:00pm
Location: SJ Green Charter Middle School, 2319 Valence St.
Candidates: Cheryl Gray, Jalila Jefferson-Bullock, David Williams, Irma Dixon

No comments: