Saturday, September 02, 2006

You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps.

I'm sure some body has said this of living in New Orleans, even before Katrina. It helps to be a little nutty to live here and have a good sense of humor. New Orleans is filled with characters. And excellent example of this is a web site my friend Kristen sent me Arabi Wrecking Krewe. It's a group of people who help musicians gut their houses. It's full of photos of people in ventelators and haz-mat suits hamming it up for the camera. Just go look at the web site, it will make you smile and will help explain the unusal mind-set of people who live down here in southern Louisiana.

The other day I was listening to WWOZ - the world's greated radio station - and a haunting song came on, about the black water line left on the city. I get goosebumps just typing this. I wondered who is this? Well, today on the cover of the Living section of our newspaper is an article "Songs in the key of K" and at the top of the page is a photo with the caption: Spencer Bohren waxes rhapsodic about "The Long Black Line" that failed-levee floodwaters left wrapped around New Orleans. My question has been answered. Here's the list of songs, click the link to hear the song. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Christy:

Thanks for mentioning Katrinalaya on your blog. Katrinalaya is now part of the Smithsonian Museum of American History and we have raised over $5,000 for hurricane relief through the sale of Katrinalaya CD's. Please visit www.katrinalaya.org for more info.

Sincerely,

David "The Nac" Naccari
Recording Artist and Song Administrator
Email: thenac@katrinalaya.org

NOLA Cleophatra said...

Dear Nac,

My pleasure. I bought a copy from iTunes and I encourage anyone reading this to do the same.