Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Gambit's Best of New Orleans poll came out this week. I was going to vote on-line but when I read that I would have to answer at least 50% of the questions I changed my mind. A lot of the questions I don't know or don't really care. My apologies to friends whose businesses I didn't vote on. Here are some of my thoughts...

Here's the link.

Best Place to Get a Bloody Mary - Louisiana Superdome
Glad to know I'm not the only one who would have thunk it? But they are fantastic. My number 2 would be Molly's at the Market.

Best Neighborhood Bar. I'm glad to see my neighborhood bar, Rendezvous, did not make it on the list. Keep those posers out.

Best College Hangout & Best Place to Karaoke lets me know what places to avoid. I didn't realize Budda Belly had Karaoke.

I predict we'll see Avenue Pub showing up on this list next year. The new and improved AP hasn't been discovered yet. It would qualified for Best Beer Selection, Neighborhood Bar, and they should have a category "Best Bar Food."

Best Beer Brand - 1. Abita, 2. NOLA Brewery 3. Budweiser. Budweiser? Seriously? I guess Bud Light drinking like to take on-line pools.

Best New Restaurant - Glad to see Gott Gourmet made the list. I'm surprised to see Rum House, it's only been open a few months.

Best Cup of Coffee & Best Coffeehouse - Glad to see all winners are local.

Best Public Spat - Wow, Stacy Head is involved in all three!

I like this one: Best New Job for Mayor Ray Nagin - 1. Garbage Man 2. Making License Plates in Prison 3. Cleaning the French Quarter for SDT

Muses got voted Best Carnival Night Parade. I certainly have to agree.

I like their comment about NOLA.com's comment section though it can be next to impossible to find stuff on the site.
Best Local Web Site - 1. Nola.com - The online arm of The Times-Picayune features the paper's excellent reporters and some interesting blogs and multimedia. Now if we can only get them to clean up the toxic soup that infects their comments section. Mr. O'Byrne? Please? 2. Bestofneworleans.com 3. WWLTV.com

Best Local Blog - 2. Blackenedout.blogspot.com How is it I've never heard of this blog? Now it's going to get slammed.

I find it interesting that Best Men's Clothing Store & Best Women's Clothing Store are all national chains save Perlis. Are you paying attention over-priced Magazine street boutiques who only carry size 0-2??

Best Wireless Phone Service - 1. AT&T - SERIOUSLY??? I have AT&T and they suck for cell phone service.

No comments: